Occupational exposure monitoring
At Sysco Environmental Ltd, we are able to offer our customers a complete range of occupational exposure monitoring solutions to identify, evaluate, and control risks to worker’s health from exposure to hazardous substances. Workplace air sampling measures the exposure of your staff to hazardous substances in the air. Exposure to these hazardous substances in the workplace can have a harmful effect on employee’s health.
Our workplace air monitoring service will keep you informed about your workforce’s exposure to airborne substances. This means that we will check compliance against the exposure limits given in EH40/2005 – Workplace exposure limits.
Furthermore, our air sampling experts will work with you, during a workplace air sampling campaign, to ensure that your business meets its legal obligations under COSHH. The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH) Regulation 7 places a duty on employers, as part of their COSHH assessment, to stop or control the exposure of staff to hazardous substances at work. In particular, Regulation 10 sets a duty to carry out workplace air monitoring to measure these exposures.
Hazardous substances include:
- substances used directly in work activities (e.g. adhesives, paints, cleaning agents)
- substances generated during work activities (e.g. dust fumes from soldering and welding);
- naturally occurring substances (e.g. grain dust);
- biological agents such as bacteria and other micro-organisms
- contamination of buildings, for example, mercury or anthrax
We provide exposure monitoring services in a variety of scenarios such as when our clients need to prove compliance with WEL (Workplace Exposure Limit) or BMGV (Biological Monitoring Guidance Value) or when they need to show that engineered controls or personal protective equipment is adequately working.
Specialist monitoring provides a scientifically solid basis for identification of the most appropriate solution to contamination control. All occupational exposure testing is carried out using validated methods produces by leading health and safety organisations such as HSE, NIOSH and OSHA.
A Sysco Environmental Survey Report includes:
- Detailed information of the work being carried out at the time of the survey and all observations regarding control and PPE etc.
- A clear presentation of the results from the survey and detailed information of where and when these were taken.
- Comparing the results of the hazardous substances survey to the work exposure limits applicable and if this poses a serious risk to health from inhalation.
- Assessment of existing control measures such as Local Exhaust Ventilation or General Ventilation and how this can be improved.
- The review of Respirable Protective Equipment (RPE) used in the working process and how this can be improved or changed to be more efficient. Face Fit Testing can also be carried out by Sysco Environmental.
See our other occupational exposure monitoring services