Hazardous Substances Monitoring Services
Hazardous substances include:
- Substances used directly in work activities (e.g., adhesives, paints, cleaning agents)
- Substances generated during work activities (e.g. dust fumes from welding, soldering, plastics, rubber, and so on)
- Naturally occurring substances (e.g. grain dust)
- Biological agents such as bacteria and other micro-organisms
- Contamination of buildings, for example, mercury or anthrax
Exposure to these hazardous substances in the workplace can have a harmful effect on employees' health.
Compliance with hazardous substances industry regulations
Our occupation hygiene experts will work with your organisation to check compliance against the exposure limits given in EH40/2005 (Workplace Exposure Limits), and ensure that your business meets its legal obligations under COSHH (The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002). COSHH Regulation 7 places a duty on employers, as part of their COSHH assessment, to stop or control the exposure of staff to hazardous substances at work. Regulation 10 sets a duty to carry out workplace air monitoring to measure these exposures.
The importance of a hazardous substances monitoring service
We provide exposure monitoring services in a variety of scenarios such as when our clients need to prove compliance with WEL (Workplace Exposure Limit) or BMGV (Biological Monitoring Guidance Value) or when you need to show that engineered controls or personal protective equipment is adequately working.
Specialist monitoring provides a scientifically solid basis for identification of the most appropriate solution to contamination control. All occupational exposure testing is carried out using validated methods produced by leading health and safety organisations such as HSE, NIOSH and OSHA.
A Sysco Environmental hazardous substances survey report includes:
- Detailed information of the work being carried out at the time of the survey and all observations regarding control and PPE etc.
- A clear presentation of the results from the survey and detailed information of where and when these were taken.
- A comparison of results of the hazardous substances survey to the work exposure limits applicable, and evaluation if this poses a serious risk to health from inhalation.
- Assessment of existing control measures such as Local Exhaust Ventilation or General Ventilation and how this can be improved.
- The review of Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE) used in the working process and how this can be improved or changed to be more efficient. (Face Fit Testing can also be carried out by Sysco Environmental.)
Our workplace air monitoring service will keep you informed about your workforce's exposure to airborne substances. (Workplace air sampling measures the exposure of your staff to hazardous substances in the air.)
Why choose Sysco Environmental for your hazardous substances monitoring?
More than just an industrial hygiene consultancy, Sysco Environmental stands as a champion for worker health and safety.
Our experts have extensive experience in monitoring hazardous substances, and have an in-depth knowledge of the associated risks to your personnel. Our industry-leading professional services are second to none, and we customise those services to your organisation's unique requirements.
Sysco Environmental is your trusted partner in occupational health & safety, and our team of experts is available to provide ongoing support and guidance to help you interpret monitoring results, implement control measures, and create a culture of safety within your business.
Contact us today for a chat with one of our friendly experts to discuss your hazardous substances situation and how Sysco can help.
Browse our workplace exposure monitoring services by clicking the links below, and please browse our case studies to see examples of our work.